Made in the U.S.A.
Buying American is important to many, and that certainly extends to one of our biggest purchases: cars. But with so many parts, how do you determine just how "American" a car is? Every year, Cars.com releases an American-Made Index ranking cars and trucks. Each vehicle is analyzed in five categories:
- Location of final assembly
- Percentage of U.S. and Canadian parts
- Country of origin for available engines
- Country of origin for available transmissions
- U.S. manufacturing employees relative to the automaker’s footprint
The index for 2021 model year cars is out, and for the first time ever, an all-electric vehicle took the top spot — and you may be surprised by the maker. Here are the 20 most American-made cars you can buy right now, including several you may mistakenly think of as imports.