ANGELS AND ARCHITECTURE
WASHINGTON SQUARE METHODIST CHURCH
New York City
Just steps from Manhattan's picturesque Washington Square Park sits this former Methodist church, which was built in 1860. In 2006, Flank Architects converted the deconsecrated church into eight luxury condo units spread out over five stories.
WASHINGTON SQUARE METHODIST CHURCH: A FAMOUS FRUIT-THROWER
This 1867 structure was purchased in 2003 by London theater designer Niki Turner, who hired architect Jonathan Tuckey to renovate and expand it. Tuckey preserved the simple Georgian chapel's arched windows, distressed floors, and grand double-story bookshelves of the sanctuary, converting it into a living space and office.
PROVIDENCE CHAPEL: A BATH WITH A VIEW
CHURCH OF SANT FRANCESC CONVENT
Santpedor, Catalonia, Spain
This former church was built in the early 18th century by Franciscan priests and occupied until 1835. The complex was abandoned until 2005, when architect David Closes began a restoration project began to save the ruined chapel.
CHURCH OF SANT FRANCESC CONVENT: A NEW CULTURAL SPACE
This magnificent luxury country hotel in Britain's West Midlands was built in the mid-1700s as an estate, then converted into an abbey for Benedictine nuns in the early 1800s. The nuns departed in 2009, selling the property to a developer who spent 4 million pounds to convert it to a hotel in 2014.
STANBROOK ABBEY: AFTERNOON TEA AND LANDSCAPED GARDENS
ABBAYE ROYALE DE FONTEVRAUD
This 12th-century abbey is a Unesco World Heritage site and is the burial site of England's King Edward II, his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine, and their heir King Richard the Lionheart. It was decommissioned during the French Revolution and later used as a prison before being restored as a cultural center in 1975.
ABBAYE ROYALE DE FONTEVRAUD: FROM PRISON TO LUXURY HOTEL
WILSONVILLE METHODIST CHURCH
McMenamins is Pacific Northwest chain of brewpubs and hotels housed in historic buildings that were once schools, churches, and other structures. Their pub in Wilsonville occupies a converted church built in 1911.
WILSONVILLE METHODIST CHURCH: LOCAL MUSIC WHILE YOU DRINK
FRIAR MINORS CHURCH
Martin's Patershof Hotel was once a Franciscan church built in 1231. The Friar Minors dwelled there for near 600 years, abandoning it in the turbulent years following the French Revolution. The monks eventually returned and remained until deconsecration in 1999.
FRIAR MINORS CHURCH: A FOUR-STAR HOTEL FLOURISHES
ST. PETER'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
This complex, with a stone-walled chapel, rectory, and parish house, was built between 1873 and 1883 on two acres in suburban Philadelphia. It was converted into the Waldorf School of Philadelphia at a cost of $6 million, opening to students in 2015.
ST. PETER'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH: A PLACE TO LEARN AND GROW
EBENEZER METHODIST CHURCH
This former church was built sometime around 1880 and remained active until the early 1990s. Work began in 2013 to convert it into a private residence, and today it is known as the Chapel on the Hill, an AirBnB rental.
EBENEZER METHODIST CHURCH: THE OUTDOORS BECKONS
Once a Catholic church in Chicago's Little Italy neighborhood, this sanctuary later served as the University of Illinois-Chicago's Agape House religious center until the early 2000s. In 2011, after sitting empty for several years, it was put on the market for $990,000.
AGAPE HOUSE: AN ARCHITECTURAL SHOWCASE
ST. ELISABETH CHURCH
Over 100 years old, St. Elisabeth Church was redesigned in 2017 as a coworking space for startups, developers, and entrepreneurs. The nave, where worshippers once prayed, is now a mix of open seating and cubicles.
ST. ELISABETH CHURCH: A WORKPLACE FOR THE DIGITAL GENERATION
ST. JOSEPH'S AT MARIENSTEIN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania
This former Catholic church was built in 1873. Located on 1.5 acres in Bucks County. Pennsylvania, the wood-sided chapel is now a renovated private residence that retains its original steeple, bell, and stained-glass windows.
ST. JOSEPH'S AT MARIENSTEIN CATHOLIC CHURCH: A HOLY HOME
FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST
Montclair, New Jersey
Built in 1926, this former First Church of Christ, Scientist, was renovated as an eco-friendly office complex in 2012. Architects preserved original details like the 20-foot walnut-paneled window frames, wrought-iron light fixture in the converted rotunda, and wood floors in the entryway.
FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST: A NEW COMMUNITY HUB
The Notre-Dame-du-Perpétuel-Secours (Our Lady of Perpetual Help), completed in 1920, was the center of Montreal's Little Italy neighborhood for decades. It was decommissioned and sold in 2010, then renovated as a theater and public event space at a cost of $3 million.
NOTRE-DAME-DU-PERPÉTUEL-SECOURS: A SPACE TO CELEBRATE
CHURCH OF SANTA BARBARA
Llanera, Asturias, Spain
The church of Santa Barbara in Llanera, Asturias was designed by Catalan architect Manuel del Busto in 1912. After sitting abandoned for years, work began in 2014 to convert the structure into Kaos Temple at La Iglesia Skate, an indoor skate park.
CHURCH OF SANTA BARBARA: A PLAYGROUND FOR SKATERS
CHESTNUT STREET METHODIST CHURCH
Built in 1856, the Gothic Revival-style church was deconsecrated in 2009 and resurrected soon thereafter as the Restaurant Grace. The architects preserved the church's 27 stained glass windows, exposed wooden beams, original pipe organ, and painstakingly restored woodwork.
CHESTNUT STREET METHODIST CHURCH: A LINK TO PORTLAND'S PAST
This former church was built in 1930, abandoned in the 1960s, and later covered in metal siding and used as a garage. The architecture firm of Ruud Visser was hired to redesign the structure and restore as many original details as possible, while building a modern extension that looks out over the De Rotte River.
DUTCH CHURCH: A MIX OF SACRED AND SECULAR
ST. JAMES ANGLICAN CHURCH
This Gothic Revival former church was built in 1893 and is on the market as a renovated house or office building with the original steep roofs, pointed arches, leaded glass windows, vaulting and leaded stained-glass windows.
ST. JAMES ANGLICAN CHURCH: A HOME OR OFFICE
This 1884 church in southern Holland was recently converted into a multi-purpose community space called The De Petrus Project. The restoration was designed by Dutch architecture firm Molenaar & Bol & vanDillen.
CATHOLIC CHURCH: A RESOURCE FOR THE CITY
This 15th-century mansion, located on the grounds of the Church of St John the Baptist in England's Cotswolds region, has also been a school and parish hall. It was reborn in 2017 as a multifunctional space for the local community.