Samsung washing machines sold at Costco, Best Buy, Home Depot, and other stores nationwide have been recalled due to a risk of fire caused by the control panel overheating.
Samsung has received reports of 51 of the washing machines smoking, melting, overheating, or catching fire, resulting in damage to 10 properties. Three consumers have been injured by smoke inhalation.
A total of 663,500 washing machines sold from June 2021 to December 2022 are affected by the recall. All are top-load models with super speed wash in white, black, champagne, and ivory colors. A label on the inside of the top lid or on the back of the washer includes the unit's model and serial numbers. The recalled units include:
- Model number WA49B5105AV/US with serial number range 01J457BT700001W through 01J457BTB00111H
- Model number WA49B5105AW/US with serial number range 01J557BT700001J through 01J557BT700010D
- Model number WA49B5205AW/US with serial number range 01HH57BT300006X through 01HH57BTB00932W
- Model number WA50B5100AV/US with serial number range 01J257BT70001B through 01J257BTB01232B
- Model number WA50B5100AW/US with serial number range 01J357BT770001L through 01J357BT700010F
- Model number WA51A5505AC/US with serial number range 01HA57BR700003P through 01HA57BTB00346F
- Model number WA51A5505AV/US with serial number range 01H257BR600003R through 01H257BTB02018L
- Model number WA51A5505AW/US with serial number range 01GY57BR600026P through 01GY57BTB00269W
- Model number WA52A5500AC/US with serial number range 01HB57BR700003Y through 01HB57BTB02968X
- Model number WA52A5500AV/US with serial number range 01H357BR600006A through 01H357BTB01820Y
- Model number WA52A5500AW/US with serial number range 01H457BR600003X through 01H457BTB01503Y
- Model number WA54A7305AV/US with serial number range 01H557BR600003P through 01H557BR800650T
- Model number WA55A7300AE/US with serial number range 01H057BR600001H through 01H057BTB05872Z
- Model number WA55A7700AV/US with serial number range 01H157BR600151Z through 01H157ZT700005K
The potential overheating problem can be solved by updating the washer's software. Machines that are connected to the internet through Wi-Fi will automatically update. If you have a recalled washer that isn't Wi-Fi-enabled, the CPSC advises that you stop using it and contact Samsung for a free dongle to plug into the washer to update its software.
To find out whether your washing machine is part of the recall, how to update your machine's software, or to contact the company, go to the Samsung recall-support website.