1. Ticket prices may be lower on budget airlines, such as Spirit and Frontier, but expect fees for just about everything.
Top 50 Money-Saving Travel Tips of 2014
10. Even if you don't fly a particular airline often, you may as well sign up for the free frequent flyer program and start accumulating miles or points with that carrier. The miles may also apply on a partner airline.
17. When traveling with a baby, bring more diapers and wipes than you think you'll need and pack them in easy-to-reach places. With older children, fill a carry-on with a spare change of clothing for everyone. Spills (or worse) happen and luggage can get lost or delayed, and buying replacements is costly.
37. Rental car rates aren't set in stone. Try asking for a discounted price in exchange for buying the optional insurance. But opt out of the rental company's collision damage waiver if your credit card covers this.
42. Special travel health insurance may be advisable for foreign sojourns. Some credit cards include travel accident insurance and some, such as World MasterCard, come with free medical and legal referral services.
Cheapism.com participates in affiliate marketing programs, which means we may earn a commission if you choose to purchase a product through a link on our site. This helps support our work and does not influence editorial content.